This Sunday I attended a seminar for teachers of English, held in one of our university classrooms. The seminar was devoted to Creative Writing issues and was organized by volunteers from America. Melissa, Andrew, Sally and the fourth girl, whose name I do not remember - very interesting, funny and intelligent people. They work in schools and universities in Ukraine, and often organize workshops for teachers and students. They told us about the features of writing different kinds of work, and in particular - essays, poems and fictions. Americans filed material in a very interesting and unusual form. We learned how to write each of the above types of work, and learn about how to help students learn and love to write compositions.
We were divided into two groups to work more effectively. Each of the four volunteers had a lecture on a separate type of work, and we jointly create stories, poems and fictions.
For example the last lecture we wrote the poem. Title of the poem was the name of any subject. The first thing that came into my mind was “a table”. I wrote the first line of the poem and gave it to my neighbor. He had to write the next line of a poem and pass on. After going round, my sheet of paper back and I saw it a real poem. Speaking the truth, I do not believe that this may have something good ... But I read this poem and I really liked it. I hope it will like you too.
A table
A table is like an area
Where different things are kept
Covered with paper and sweets
And stuff you left and forget.
It can hold what is important,
It can hold what is forgotten
It the nice place to hide something
It helps to study and write
It can be made from different material
It is the most necessary attribute in our homes
And everyone has it wherever you’d go.
Please add the answers to the following:
ОтветитьУдалить After the session, what, if anything, might change in the way you think about writing? About teaching writing?
What topics would you like to see covered in the next two sessions? (genre-specific teaching, best practices, practical exercises and assignments, e-teaching)
How likely are you to use creative writing materials in your classes?